Yes, it’s true. While you were sleeping, the tiny elves powering the Common Application were up all night perfecting the 2016-2017 prompts. This unprecedented early release gives juniors almost an entire year to plan for this momentous assignment. Plus, the 2016-2017 Common App prompts are exactly the same as the 2015-2016 prompts! So, juniors, make sure to pick those seniors’ brains before they graduate – and don’t forget to check out our handy guide to the prompts.
1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
2. The lessons we take from failure can be fundamental to later success. Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
3. Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?
4. Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma – anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
5. Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.